The Royal Hotel in downtown Blackstock
Hotel in downtown Blackstock, circa 1885.
Paving the road through Blackstock
View of the beach a Caesarea about
Boats sit in Lake Scugog at Caesarea in this 1914
picture. On the right side of the main street
is the Kenosha House hotel and at left, Lakeview
View of the main street of Caesarea about 1914
with the Lakeview House at right.
Street, Caesarea about 1914. The Kenosha Hotel,
left, was owned by Mr. Fred Harran. At right is
Lakeview House and the small building at the end
of the street was a change house for swimmers.
Kenosha House Hotel in Caesarea, circa 1915. The
hotel burned to ground in early morning fire in
July 1952 at Caesarea. Eight tourists escape but
Mrs. Tilley Harran, 67, wife of proprietor, died
after rushing into the hotel to save some valuables.
This is the annex building of Fred Harran's Kenosha
House hotel. What is interesting to note here
is the different spelling of the name, which shows
as "Kynosha" on this building. Photo taken in
This building was constructed
by George Stevenson for a store, and was sold
to Wm. Henry Harron, who renamed the store Linton
House and took in boarders. (Mrs. Harron had a
sister who married a Linton).
The Hiawatha Resort, Caesarea,
Ont. near the turn of the century.
Village of Cadmus with the general
store to the right early 1900s.
The Cadmus General Store, was
operated by J.E. Elliott when this cira 1910 picture
Mr. J. E. Elliott, owner of the
Cadmus General Store and Post Office, on his horse
drawn delivery wagon about 1900.
This is a view of Cragg Road,
looking east from the village of Greenbank, was
taken during the late 1800s. The building to the
right is the United Church which was opened as
a Methodist Church in December 1896. Cost to build
the church at that time was $5,800. Further down
the road, near the centre of the picture is the
old Temperance Hall built in the 1860s, and where
many a lively temperance meeting was held by the
Greenbank Division of Sons of Temperance throughout
the later part of the 1800s. Just behind the hall
can be seen the steeple of the Presybyterian Church.
At the far left is a portion of the general store.
The Greenbank Temperance Hall,
along Craig Rd., during the late 1800s. In the
background is the steeple of the Greenbank Presbyterian
The Church of St. Agness (right)
at Greenbank was officially opened and held its
first service on Sunday, Sept. 27, 1868. The building
originally had a bell tower, but was later removed.
This 1967 picture (left) shows what the hall looked
like after becoming the Greenbank Centennal Hall.
Greenbank Methodist Church, 1909.
During the 1930s there were cabins
and a park just north of the four-corners in Greenbank
on the west side of the Hwy. #12.
Greenbank School Section #12,
located on Conc. 11, Reach Township.
Shareview Farm about the turn
of the century, at the south end of Prince Albert,
Ontario. The house is now owned by Gerald and
Rowan Tree Hall, Prince Albert,
the home of T.C. Forman during the 1860s and 1870s,
before he moved to Port Perry. The house still
stand on the south side of King St., just east
of Old Simcoe Rd.
The public school in Prince Albert
was built during the 1860s on Jeffrey Street,
as a three-room school. In 1934 the school was
remodelled, a basement added, and the building
moved back from the street. In 1953 talk began
about consolidating Prince Albert and Manchester
schools to help cope with student demand. The
new P.A. public school was officially opened Oct.
17, 1958. The old school was used for about two
more years, when the south wing of the school
was removed and the building converted into a
Sketch of the Prince Albert Presbyterian
Church, 1861, when the minister was the Rev. R.
Crosier's store, (orginally Christian's)
in Manchester circa 1920. The store was located
on the south west corner of Hwy. 12 and Regional
Rd. 21 in the village of Manchester.
S.H. Christian's general store,
Manchester as it looked when owned by Crosier's
about 1914. This buildings is the same as the
photo above, but shows the road which goes to
Utica and a farm building at the top of the rise
in the road.
Charles Hiscock ran a bakery and
confectionary from this Manchester building as
early as 1867. He later opened bakeries in Prince
Albert and Port Perry.
Manchester, Ont. about 1912. The
dirt road shown here runs through the middle of
the village and later became part of 7A Highway.
Note the cows grazing under the trees at the right
of the picture.
The G.T.R. Train Station in Manchester
in the early 1900s was located about one mile
south of the village of Manchester. Picture shows
train arriving from Whitby and points south to
pick up passengers and milk buckets. Next stops
on the line were Prince Albert and Port Perry
before carrying on to Lindsay.
The G.T.R. Train Station in Manchester
in the late 1800s. When this photo was taken,
the platform in front of the station was still
not built and the roof had not been extended to
give passengers protection while waiting for the
Veale's General Store, about 1910,
at Nestleton North.
The Standard Bank of Canada office,
located at Nestleton Station, Ont., about 1916.
This bank closed out as the Bank of Commerce in
1932 and was used as a hatchery for broiler chickens
until it was torn down in the 1940s.
The J.J. Bruce store about 1910.
This building buned in November 1950.
Fairview Avenue, Nesteton Station,
Canadian Pacific Railway constructed
a branch railway line from Burketon Junction to
Bobcaygeon and it was officially opened for traffic
on July 28, 1904. This scene shows the Nestleton
Railway Station and grain elevator. Six trains
a day used the line, but the tracks were lifted
in 1933 and the station house is now a residence.
Looking south from Nestleton Station
Seagrave General Store, about
1906, with a horse and buggy and a group of people
in front of the store.
The Ocean House, Seagrave was
a very important and busy place during the late
1800s, providing all the necessities for travellers
and local patrons. Picture below shows the south
side of the hotel, near the corner of River and
Simcoe St. Like all hotels during this period,
with the temperance movement in full swing, the
Ocean House had its problems with liquor. In 1898
over two-thirds of the people of Seagrave signed
a petition forcing owner Robt. Brown to close
down his bar, the last to do so in the County
This early picture of the Seagrave
United Church was taken about 1906.
The Scugog Island General store
about 1930. The road now leads to the Great Blue
Gordon Tetlow stands in front
of the John L. Sweeman delivery truck at the Scugog
Island General store about 1942.
Utica, Ont. Memory Hall was constructed
in 1899 and was located on the southwest corner
of the village. It was destroyed by a devastating
fire on Saturday afternoon, April 9, 1955. The
hall had been constructed as a gift to the community
by a former Utica resident, Thomas W. Horn.
The girls of the Utica Bluebird
Club are seen in this picture standing in front
of the Utica 'Red & White' store during the summer
of 1937. The store was owned by Charles W. Lackey
at this time and a number of men can be seen standing
around outside the store.
Picture taken in front of Dafoe's
Hotel, Utica. Front left, Irene (Mrs. Clarence
Pollard), Mary Ann McKay, Mrs. Lottie Woodcock,
_______, James E. Buck, Mrs. James E. Buck, Edith
(Mrs. Hodson). Middle Row, Allen Buck, Aggie buck,
Bertha McKay, _______, _____ Woodcock, Beatrice
Gardener, _______,,Woodcock boy, ______ Hodson,
_______ Woodcock girl. Anyone knowing any of the
others please contact Observer Publishing.
The Bluebird Club pose for a
picture outside the Utica Memory Hall about 1937
before leaving for a weekend trip north. Back
left, Marion Kendall, Gladys Harper, Helen Hortop,
Jessie Walker. Centre left, Ann Kerry, Lil Lakey,
Mrs. Fred (Margaret) Ballard, Ruth Payne, Dora
Geer. Far left, Annie Christie. Front left, Marion
Locke, Mrs. Earl (Margaret) Ballard, Muriel Kerry,
Eileen Harper, Ruth Mitchell and Maude Smith.
Photo courtesy Darlene Christie.
to the Top
to Miscellaneous Index