The biographies featured in
this section, by no means cover all of the men
who contributed significantly to the development
of the Scugog area. Information about many of
the pioneers who first settled in Reach and Scugog
is almost non-existent, as there were no newspapers
to report on happenings in this area until late
in 1857. Even throughout much of the 1860s information
is scarce, due to a great number of missing issues
of the Ontario Observer, the areas first newspaper.
On the following pages are some
the men who cut their way through the bush to
get to Lake Scugog. They cleared the land, built
crude log homes, opened saw mills and grain elevators,
built thriving towns from crude settlements, brought
the railway to their doorstep, and laid the groundwork
for the communities we live in today.
DAVID JEWEL ADAMS
David J. Adams began business
in Prince Albert in 1860, then moved to Port Perry
in the exodus of 1872, going into partnership with
his brother John, as "John & David J. Adams", money
lenders and fire insurance agents.
In the partnership and confined his attention to
his farm, known as "Ambleside" on Scugog Island.
David Adams continued the business, steadily increasing
his clientele and acquiring a reputation with the
companies he represented as a man of sound judgement
as a valuator and an authority on land titles.
Mr. Adams was born on Nov. 9,
1843 and passed away on June 15, 1910. He owned
a handsome home on the hill in Port Perry, on the
north side of Queen St. After his death, the business
was continued by his son, David D. Adams.
John Adams acquired a good education
and early in life entered into the mercantile business
for a number of years. He went into partnership
with his brother Douglas D. Adams, and later became
connected with some of the leading financial institutions
in Toronto where he accumulated considerable wealth,
being a successful speculator.
About 1872 he purchased one of
the finest properties in Ontario County, "Ambleside",
a 300 acre farm located on Scugog Island. The beautiful
property became a destination from many excursi
on parties and church picnics in the late 1800s.
Mr. Adams was one of the most
extensive importers and breeders of valuable heavy
horses, cattle and swine, and was identified with
area agricultural institutions. As one of the leading
stock breeders in the country he was often visited
by breeders from all parts of Canada and the United
He was a faithful supporter of
his beloved Zion, the Church of England.
John Adams passed away on Scugog
Island on Thursday, May 1, 1902 in the 68th year
of his life., leaving his widow Margaret and two
children, a son and a daughter.
DAVID DOUGLAS ADAMS
David D. Adams, 34 years of age,
was one of Port Perry's most promising young businessmen,
when he passed away on August 15, 1918, following
a month's illness from appendicitis.
He was a man of far more than
ordinary ability, and at a young age went on to
become a respected and thorough businessman. His
extensive experience, before becoming a partner
in the family firm of David J. & Douglas Adams,
thoroughly prepared him to fill the bill to perfection,
in regard to carrying on such a long established
business. He took over the business after the death
of his father, David J. Adams in 1910.
Just prior to his death, he had
taken much interest in both livestock and farming,
and was making preparations for carrying on farming
on an extensive scale.
The entire community was saddened
by his death, and business was suspended in town
the day of his funeral in respect for the young
businessman. A service was held from his family
residence on Cochrane St., with a large crowd attending
as he was laid to rest in Prince Albert.
He was a loving husband and worthy
citizen, and a member of the Fidelity Lodge, A.F.
& A.M., of which he had been Master.
With the demise
of William Aldred, on Sat., December 9, 1922, Scugog
Island lost its veteran architect and builder, for
there are few buildings on the Island, that were
not constructed by him. The workmanship pertaining
to their construction has proved first-class, and
they stand as monuments to his untiring enterprise
Mr. Aldred had the distinguished
honour of being the first white infant to see the
light of day on Scugog, for early in the1840s, he
was rowed across the lake in a scow by his parents,
and strange to relate, was landed on the shore of
the farm later occupied by his son Jonathan.
Early in life, in addition to
farming, he embarked in his life's calling, that
of a building contractor, and by unceasing energy
and constant application soon acquired a competency.
In faith he was an exemplary member
of the Methodist Church and in politics a staunch
Conservative. He was gentle and affable and his
upright character secured for him the esteem and
respect of all with whom he came in contact.
He was public spirited and served
the municipality, to good purpose, for more than
one term at the municipal council board. As a citizen
he supported every public innovation and improvement
likely to benefit his adopted island.
He leaves a large, prosperous
and highly intelligent family of six sons: George,
Nelson, Johathan, Joel, Ira and Norman, and three
daughters Mrs. W.K. Ramsey, Mrs. J.E. Morrish, and
Miss Maud Aldred. The funeral took place at his
late residence with interment in the family plot
at Pine Grove Cemetery.
ALBERT WILLIAM ALLIN
A.W. Allin came to Port Perry
from Utica about 1888 and quickly established himself
as a successful blacksmith and carriage manufacturer.
His premises were located on Perry St., about the
location of the present municipal offices.
His buildings consisted of a commodious
blacksmith shop with wood-working shop in the rear
and a large showroom for carriages. He was a skilled
workman, dealing in general trade as well as specializing
He was a member of Port Perry
council for a number of years, treasurer of the
S.O.E. and is M.W. of the A.O.U.W. Mr. Allin owned
a very handsome residence on Perry Street.
Mr. Allin passed away on March
31, 1901 at 81 years of age. He left behind his
wife Anne Louise (Claughton).
STEPHEN EDWARD ALLISON
S.E. Allison was born at Adolphustown,
Prince Edward County on July 29, 1843, the son of
Joseph B. and Mary Allison, who were United Empire
Mr. Allison came to Port Perry
in 1868 and for many years he was a druggist here.
He married Margaret Kirkland (Sinclair) on June
8, 1870. In their house were born four children,
Ward, Mary Elizabeth, Kate and Mrs. W.E. Groves.
Mr. Allison was a genial man,
ever fond of his home, which he and his wife lived
in for 55 years. He loved to talk of old times,
and in matters of local history he was an authority.
In 1884 and again in 1891, Mr.
Allison was the victim of fires which razed downtown
Port Perry, losing thousands of dollars from the
In the annals of the Methodist
Church, he is named as one of the prime movers in
the erection of the present structure.
Mr. Allison died on Sunday, January
6, 1929 at his home in Port Perry, in his 86th year.
The funeral service was attended largely by old
friends and neighbours. He is survived by his wife,
Margaret, and three children.
CHARLES H. ALLISON
'Charlie', as his fellow citizens
called him, was born and educated in Port Perry
and served an apprenticeship to pharmacy in local
stores. He graduated from the Ontario College of
Pharmacy in 1893 and the following year purchased
the drug and stationery business of T.C. Nicholls.
The business had been established 40 years earlier
by his uncle, the late C. Allison.
His store was located on the south
side of Queen St. and in addition to his dispersing
of drugs and sundries, he also was a qualified optician,
and performed tests for sight. His store and the
contents were all lost in a devastating fire in
Mr. Allison was public spirited
man, and served on town council a number of years.
He was a fine musician and a member of the local
band, and held the position of secretary for many
In March, 1907, Mr. Allison sold
his drug and stationery business to E.B. Flint of
Newark, New Jersey.
DR. ROBERT ARCHER
For more than three
decades, "Dr. Bob" as he was affectionately called,
labored in Port Perry and neighbouring communities,
bringing health and life to thousands who in pain
and fear called for his help. He was a leading figure
in the medical profession in this vicinity and earned
a fine reputation. He should have taken his work
in a more leisurely fashion several years ago, but
he could not give up. His life was literally for
the health of others.
Dr. Robert Archer was an accomplished
surgeon, who after his post graduate work in New
York and at the Mayo Clinic, practiced medicine
in North Dakota. After setting up practice in Port
Perry, his brother David joined him in 1897 at the
Archer Medical Clinic, located at 238 Queen St.
In 30 years the country doctor came to know and
to feel for his patients as personal friends.
Dr. Archer was born in 1862 and
passed away at his home on July 23, 1927, at 65
years of age. An impressive tribute ceremony was
held at the Town Hall Park and a large crowd attended
the open air service. Following the funeral he was
interred in the family plot at Pine Grove Cemetery,
Dr. Archer was survived by his
wife Amelia, one daughter, Mrs. Herbert Baker, one
son, Mr. Harold Archer, and his brother Dr. David
DR. DAVID ARCHER
Dr. David Archer,
one of the senior members of the Ontario County
Medical Assoc. died at Oshawa General Hospital following
an illness of some four weeks. His passing removed
one of the veterans of the profession in Ontario
County, whose practice dates back to the horse and
Born in Cartwright Twp. on August
4, 1857, David Archer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert
Archer, attended Bowmanville High School, Hamilton
Model School and then started his career as a teacher
of mathematics at Smith's Falls High School. He
later entered the study of medicine at Victoria
College and after graduation went to England, Scotland
and Ireland where he took post graduate work.
Coming back to Ontario County,
he opened practice in Port Perry where he continued
for 37 years before moving to Oshawa in 1928. While
in Port Perry he was instrumental in having a telephone
system installed in the village and district.
He was a member of the medical
staff of the Oshawa General Hospital and held in
high regard by the medical fraternity there. At
a banquet of the Ontario County Medical Assoc. in
February 1938, Dr. Archer was presented with a life
Dr. Archer left a lasting legacy
and was admired for his self sacrificing and devotion
to the relief of suffering. It was written that
"the entire community is poorer because he has passed".
He was always kindly and considerate to everyone.
Dr. Archer died at Oshawa on Wed.,
September 20, 1939. Funeral service was held at
the family residence, and a large number of sorrowful
followed the procession for interment at Pine Grove
was one of the early settlers on Scugog Island.
He was an enterprising farmer for many years, but
also had a keen interest in the advancement of progress.
In 1868 he was first elected to represent the people
on the council and position he held for a number
of years. He was elected Reeve of Scugog in 1883
and held the post for four consecutive years. In
1894 he was appointed Commissioner of the Scugog
Bridge by Ontario County council.
He represented the wealthy and
prosperous little island in a highly satisfactory
manner to all concerned. In the County Council his
reports as chairman of committees were regarded
Prior to moving to Port Perry,
in the late 1890s, he was one of Scugog's leading
and most enterprising farmers, and occupied a number
of the most prominent positions in the gift of the
The church too, had his manly
and generous protection and support, and while his
moral support was of much importance, his financial
aid was always forthcoming when required.
William Bateman, while in residence
in Port Perry, occupied the conspicuous highly important
position in the community; he identified himself
with and was an active and indefatigable promoter
of every movement, commercial educational and religious,
having a tendency to foster and advance the best
interests of the town and its surroundings. He strived
to see Port Perry become one of the best, most prosperous
centres in the province, socially, intellectually,
educationally and commercially.
As Justice of the Peace his decisions,
although strictly in accordance with the law, the
penalties he imposed were invariably tempered with
Mr. Bateman died in Toronto on
Monday, Feb. 3, 1908, at 72 years of age. He was
interred at Pine Grove Cemetery. His wife, Nancy
(Varnum) passed away June 28, 1903. Left to mourn
his loss are two sons, Dr. Martin Bateman and Mr.
For almost 20 years, James Baird
was associated with the Ontario Observer, the first
newspaper to begin publishing in the area. In August
1866 he was named the editor of the newspaper and
became partners with its owner, Henry Parsons.
He was an outspoken critic of
actions and politics, and an advocate of anything
that would benefit the progress of the community.
After 18 years as editor, in Oct.
1884, the partnership of James Baird and Henry Parsons,
as proprietors and publishers of the North Ontario
Observer was dissolved, with the business being
taken over by Mr. Parsons.
Mr. Baird also served as President
of the Reach and Scugog School Teachers' Association
and superintendent during the 1860s. He was also
a charter member and president of the Prince Albert
Public Hall Joint Stock Co.
James Baird died on January 9,
1898 at 67 years of age, leaving his wife Mary Anne
Mr. Beatty was born in Westminster
Twp., near London, in 1841, the youngest of three
children of Henry and Mary (Acheson) Beatty. After
the death of his father, Mrs. Beatty moved to Prince
Albert, where W.A. Beatty attended school. He also
attended the old school at Borelia for a short time.
At an early age he was apprenticed
to the harness trade with the late Thomas Courtice,
with whom he worked for a number of years. In the
early 1880s Mr. Beatty and the late James Bongard
formed a partnership and carried on a harness shop
in the building on the north side of Queen St.,
then occupied by the Observer Office. A few years
later they moved to the B.F. Ackerman building,
where they carried on business until 1910, when
Mr. Beatty became sole owner of the harness manufacturing
business. Mr. Beatty was a Port Perry businessman
for more than 55 years at the time of his death.
Mr. Beatty was active in sports
in his younger days, cricket being his special hobby.
His memory extended to the very early days when
Port Perry was nothing but a mill village. In those
days the Indians used to parade the streets in their
Mr. Beatty's old home in Prince
Albert was open house to the young people of the
locality, with many a Sunday evening spent in hymn
singing. He was keenly interested in Sunday School
as a young man, being a teacher of a class of boys
for many years.
He was a Mason of long standing,
being a Past Master of Fidelity Lodge. In 1890 Bro.
W.A. Beatty, was installed as president of Lodge
14, Sons of Canada Benevolent Assoc.
On Friday, October 19, 1934, Port
Perry's oldest businessman passed away. The funeral
service was held at the United Church, with interment
at Pine Grove Cemetery. He was buried with Masonic
Port Perry' most
ambitious and influential businessman during the
developing years of the village, was Joseph Bigelow.
In fact, it could be argued he was the singular,
most influential man in the entire history of the
Bigelow was identified financially
and otherwise with every important improvement in
the Port Perry and Scugog district during his active
He became the first postmaster
in the village from 1852 to 1869. In the late 1850s
he took over a woolen factory and planing mill,
operating it until it was expropriated for the railway
in 1870. In 1862 a branch of the Royal Canadian
Bank opened in Port Perry, with Mr. Bigelow as manager.
He held the position for six years, until he retired
to give more attention to his other business interests.
In April 1869, he opened one of
the most impressive commercial blocks in the County,
the Royal Arcade. Following this he turned his attention
to promoting and building the Port Whitby and Port
Perry Railway, of which he became its chief instigator.
In 1872, Joseph Bigelow became
the first Reeve of the newly incorporated village
of Port Perry. He held the office for three terms,
under which time the village thrived under his leadership
and drive. It was during his term as Reeve, that
two of the town's most important structures were
built, the new Town Hall and the Union Public and
In May 1877, he commenced erection
of his magnificent residence on Cochrane St., high
on the hill overlooking Lake Scugog. It was here
he and his family resided until his death, at 89-years
of age, in April 1917.
Mr. Bigelow became a Justice of
the Peace in 1877 and in 1881 ran as a Reform candidate
for the Ontario Legislature, but failed to be elected
by three votes.
On the business front, Mr. Bigelow
was a 20-year partner with Thomas Paxton in a flour-milling
business located on Water St., and also a partner
in the Paxton, Tate Foundry on Perry St, and operated
the Big Red Apple Elevator, on Lilla St.
In 1890, one of his most important
projects was completed, in the building of the causeway,
or connecting bridge between Cartwright, Scugog
Island and Port Perry.
Mr. Bigelow was married to Elizabeth
Paxton in 1854. He passed away at his family residence
on Cochrane St. on Sunday, January 28, 1917, leaving
his wife and three children, Charles, Thomas and
Mrs. W.H. McCaw.
JONATHON B. BLONG
passed away on Saturday, March 20, 1915, at his
home in Toronto, He spent most of his life in Port
Perry and after moving often expressed the wish
that he was still enjoying the attractions of his
Mr. Blong was born in Toronto,
the youngest son of Henry Blong. He came to Port
Perry about the year 1882, and immediately took
a keen interest in the town. An accident in early
life deprived him of the use of one of his legs,
and made it difficult for him to enter business
in the ordinary way; but he invested money wisely
in the purchase and selling of properties.
During his years in business,
he purchased the large Royal Arcade building from
Joseph Bigelow and converted half of it into one
of the finest hotels in the province, the Brunswick
House. Following destruction of the building by
fire in 1883 and 1884, he constructed the Blong
Block, described as the most pretentious and extensive
business structure in Port Perry. It was a two-storey,
red brick building, elaborately decorated with white
brick facings and a frontage of over 100 feet on
Queen St. The building still stands to this day.
After a fire had destroyed the
home of the late Dr. J.H. Sangster in 1893, Mr.
Blong bought the property, known as Beechenhurst,
and erected the commodious house. He became very
much attached to the property, but with his health
failing, he reluctantly sold it and moved to Toronto
about 1908, where he lived with his family until
Mr. Blong was extremely fond of
nature and nothing gave him greater pleasure than
the hunting trips through the Kawartha Lakes.
Jonathon Blong, 60, died on Saturday
evening, March 20, 1915, at his late residence,
65 Woodlawn Avenue, West, Toronto, leaving his beloved
wife Sophia and son Jonathan Henry to mourn his
CAPT. JOHN B. BOWERMAN
One of the most interesting men
in Port Perry was John Bowerman. He was born near
Brooklin, on May 31, 1850, and spent much of his
youth in the area, attending Dryden's school near
The Bowerman family was engaged
in the woolen mill business at Brooklin and it was
there John Bowerman learned his trade. About 1874
he moved to Port Perry and opened a Carding Mill.
In 1876 he married Louise Kempley
and two children were born of this marriage, Charles,
and Carrie, who died in infancy. In 1887 Louise
Bowerman died. In 1890 a second marriage was contracted,
the lady being Margaret (MacGregor) and from this
marriage five children were born - George, Tom,
Ivan, Cora and Vera.
In 1883, because of his love for
water, Capt. Bowerman, as he became known, made
up his mind to build a steamboat. The result was
the steamship Mary Louise. In 1884 the great fire
destroyed the town and the Mary Louise did a great
part in hauling brick and other building material
for the rebuilding of the town. Later the boat was
sold to Jos. Parkins of Lindsay, where it was used
as a towboat. His next boat was the Empress, which
was brought to Port Perry by Jos. Ball, of Caesarea.
After awhile the boat was superseded by the Cora,
which Capt. Bowerman built in 1902. He also owned
a good sized gasoline boat, which was later sold
and broke up in Lake Ontario. He spent most of his
time on Lake Scugog, and was thoroughly familiar
with all the waterways in the district.
Capt. Bowerman died at his home
in Port Perry on Wed., April 26, 1933, in his 84th
year. He was interred in Pine Grove Cemetery. His
wife, Margaret, pre-deceased him on Tues., April
15, 1930, in her 64th year.
William Brock was among
the leading business men of Port Perry during the
late 1800s. He was born in April 1843, and arrived
in Port Perry from Newcastle when he was still a
young man. For the next 13 years he clerked in the
store owned by Aaron Ross. In 1881 he started into
business for himself in a store where the post office
is now situated (1906), and five years later moved
to his present site.
Mr. Brock was an enterprising,
honorable and energetic businessman, occupying a
prominent place in the ranks of our most reliable
businessmen. He was most industrious and preserving
in business, hence successful results invariably
crowned his efforts and investments. He was acknowledged
to be one of the best and closest buyers in the
commercial arena. He was enterprising and public
spirited and supported with energy any object that
was likely to prove beneficial to the town. Due
to his strict attention to business did not have
time to take part in the public affairs of the community.
He was an active member of the
Methodist Church, and in all walks of life he discharged
his duties in a way which won for him sincere respect.
Mr. Brock built and lived in a
nice home at the corner of Ella and Elgin Street.
Left to mourn him at the time
of his death, on March 25, 1915, was his widow Sarah
(Barber), two daughters, Mrs. F. Hugley and Miss
Ella Brock, and three sons: Harry, F.W. and Harold.
Funeral took place at the Methodist Church, Port
Mr. Brock was born April 26, 1843
and passed away on March 25, 1915.
JOHN HAMBLEY BROWN
One of the most useful citizens
in Port Perry was a gentleman known as J.H. Brown.,
who has for many years occupied positions of responsibility
and trust with marked ability and great satisfaction
to the ratepayers.
Mr. Brown came to Canada from
Plymouth, England, in the year 1848 as a young man.
For years his family resided at Prince Albert and
later he lived at Manchester. He came to Port Perry
in 1876 and for 10 years conducted a general store
at the corner of Queen and Perry St. After selling
his business he went into selling organs and pianos
from a nice little shop on Perry St., where he repaired
instruments as well as sold them. He was also a
representative of the Canada Life Insurance Company.
Mr. Brown, filled the position
of Treasurer for the village of Port Perry for more
than 30 years, resigning from the office in February
1917. During the same period, he also performed
the duties of Secretary-Treasurer of the School
Board. He was member of the I.O.O.F. and A.O.U.W.
Societies and owns a handsome home on Queen Street.
Mr. Brown died at the home of
his son-in-law, in Vancouver B.C., on Monday, March
25, 1918, in his 81st year.
J.C. Browne was born on Lot 5,
Conc. 1, Reach Twp., the son of Alex Browne, who
was one of the earliest settlers of the township.
When about 16 years of age, J.C. Browne left the
homestead and went to work on the farm of Mr. Howden,
staying for a few years, then moving to Port Perry
in 1883. About this time the Whitby/Manilla Railway
was being constructed and Mr. Browne became foreman
of the construction gang on a part of the line.
The following year he began business
as an implement agent with his office and shop in
the building beside the grain elevator, at the foot
of Queen St. Mr. Browne represented the Massey-Harris
Co., and repaired all other makes of farm implements
used in the community. He retired as a Massey-Harris
dealer in Nov. 1917, after 35 years in business.
His chief interests outside his
actual business were found in the Agricultural Society.
He was a very active director and served as Treasurer
of the Society from the time it was organized.He
was also keenly involved in the Masonic Lodge, the
organization which became the centre of his social
J.C. Browne passed away on March
12, 1931 at 81 years of age. He was married to Elizabeth
J. (Graham), of Scugog Island (a sister of Thomas
Graham). His wife predeceased him many years earlier.
Two children survive, Orr C. Browne and Mrs. S.R.
Funeral services were held at
St. John's Presbyterian Church. Fidelity Lodge,
A.F.& A.M conducted the Masonic ceremonies beside
the grave at Pine Grove Cemetery.
Stewart Bruce occupied a prominent
place in the foremost ranks of our country's present
and future hope. He took a leading part in every
movement likely to benefit the community.
Agricultural pursuits were his
choice and he identified himself with every scheme
tending to benefit the agriculturist He was a strong
supporter of agriculture societies and one of the
originators and promoters of the Central Fair Association
that gave Port Perry such prominence for its great
He stood deservedly high in the
estimation of his fellow townsmen and served in
the municipal council for a number of years. He
moved his hardware business from Cannington to Port
Perry in 1893, which was later taken over by his
son R.J. Bruce.
As a husband, a father, a friends
and a neighbour his loss will be felt. He leaves
his wife of many years and four sons, Albert, Dr.
Herbert, Mr. R.J. and Rupert.
Mr. Stewart, who was 75 years
of age, passed away on March 20, 1912, at 75 years
of age. His funeral took place at the family residence
on Queen St., at the corner of Ella St., with a
procession to Pine Grove Cemetery, Prince Albert.
His wife Isabella, passed away Wednesday, May 14,
1913 in her 76th year.
ROBERT J. BRUCE
Robert Bruce was a native of Cartwright
Township where he learned the art of storekeeping.
His first business experience took place in Cannington
where he bought a store and ran it for some time.
In 1893 Mr. Bruce moved to Port
Perry and operated a store in the old Hiscox Block,
beside the Sebert House hotel. Two years later he
erected a two storey building, 28x75' on the north
side of Queen St. just east of the Bank of Commerce
Mr. Bruce carried on a general
hardware business, including the selling of stoves,
furnaces, bindertwine, wallpaper and tinware, and
the business was in every way a very prosperous
one. His store enjoyed a large country and town
trade in eavestroughing and in metallic roofing
and ceiling supplies, and he sold paint supplies.
Mr. Bruce served on the town council
for two years and was on the board when the municipal
water and light systems were inaugurated. He also
served on the water and light commission. He is
a prominent Mason, Workman, Oddfellow and Independent
Forester. He resides in a comfortable home on Mary
In June 1906 he sold his extensive
hardware business to Mr. A. J. Carnegie.
DR. HERBERT A. BRUCE
Lieutenant Governor Of Ontario
Bruce was born in September 1868, on the family
farm two miles south west of Blackstock, the son
of Stewart and Isabella (Morrow) Bruce.
In 1873 when he was five years
old, his parents moved to a farm which they bought
east of Prince Albert, on the southern edge of Port
Perry. This allowed the Bruce children to have access
to the only high school in the area, Port Perry
High School. Herbert Bruce graduated from PPHS in
May 1884 at the age of 15, but being too young to
enter medical school, he became an apprentice to
S.E. Allison, a Port Perry druggist.
He graduated from the Toronto
School of Medicine in 1892 and began his practice
in medicine. His practice became so large, he founded
a private hospital near the corner of Wellesley
and Sherbourne Sts., and named it the Wellesley
Hospital. He operated the hospital until his retirement
in 1948, when he made a gift of it to the people
of Toronto, as a public hospital.
During World War I, Dr. Bruce
became the Inspector General of the Canadian Medical
Forces and was appointed the Consulting Surgeon
to the British Armies in France.
In 1919 he married an English
girl, Angela Hall, and the couple had one son, Herbert
Maxwell, who was born in Feb. 1920.
After the war, Dr. Bruce resumed
his duties as head of his Wellesley Hospital and
in October 1932 was appointed Lieutenant Governor
of the Province of Ontario. In 1940, when he was
70 years old, he was elected as the Member of Parliament
for the riding of Parkdale, Toronto. He made is
mark on Ottawa in his first speech by calling for
the resignation of then Prime Minister, Mackenzie
During his years as one of the
top physicians and politicians in Ontario, Dr. Bruce
never forgot his Port Perry roots. He made frequent
visits back to his hometown, and took part in the
Centenary Celebration of Cartwright in 1934, and
took part in the dedication of the new Memorial
Library in Port Perry in 1937.
Dr. Herbert A. Bruce passed away
at his home on Douglas Drive, in Rosedale, Toronto
on Sunday, June 23, 1963 at the age of 94 years.
came to Canada from Yorkshire England in 1846, and
settled with his family in the vicinity of Pickering.
His father died shortly after reaching Canada, so
the young Burnett was forced to fend for himself
with his own resources, and later that experience
was used to help boys in a similar position.
Mr. Burnett was heavily involved
with the marked progress of Ontario County. For
many years, he and Peter Christie (always good friends)
were the recognized leaders of the Grits and Tories
of the township; and each man giving splendid service
as school trustees, councillors, etc.
He first entered public life in
1877 when he was elected to council in Reach Twp.
where he served as a councillor for many years.
In 1894 he was honoured by being elected Reeve of
the township. He was also elected Honourary President
of Port Perry's Great Syndicate Fair when it was
formed in 1900.
In 1896 under the Laurier Government,
Mr. Burnett became M.P. for South Ontario, but did
not seek re-election in 1900 when William Ross succeeded
him. Peter Christie in turn was elected to the post
About this time, Mr. Burnett represented
the Canadian Emigration Dept. at York, England and
until 1912 was very involved with the great British
immigration to Canada.
After retiring, he married Miss
Linda Putman, of Ottawa, and moved to his new residence
in Toronto. A life-long Baptist, he was long a main-stay
in the cause at Port Perry and in Toronto.
Leonard Burnett passed away on
August 21, 1932, in his 88th year. His funeral was
attended by a large gathering at his home at 5 Delaware
Ave., Toronto, with dignitaries, friends and political
contemporaries present. He was interred at Pine
Grove Cemetery on Aug. 24, 1932. The memory of Leonard
Burnett will always be cherished.
Harris Burnham served as a trustee
for the Port Perry Grammar and Common School in
the 1860s and on the building committee to construct
a new Church of England in Port Perry.
In 1871, the County appointed
him returning officer for the first election after
Port Perry was incorporated as a village.
Harris Burnham passed away in
1890. His wife Mary, died in Port Perry on Friday,
Oct. 11, 1918 at 83 years of age. The Burnhams had
three children, J.B. Burnham, Zacheus Burnham and
JOHN WARREN BURNHAM
John Burnham was
born in Whitby in 1849, the eldest son of Judge
Zacheus Burnham. He was educated at Upper Canada
College and Trinity College, where he received his
degree. At the time of the Fenian Raids, he was
a member of the Upper Canada Rifles.
Mr. Burnham was Clerk of the Division
Court when he moved to Port Perry at 22 years of
age, and he held this office until the time of his
death, a period of 58 years.
About ten years after his arrival,
in January 1881, he was appointed postmaster for
the village of Port Perry, following the resignation
of Henry Gordon. Mr. Burnham served in his position
of postmaster for a total of 45 years, and in all
that time never missed a day from duty through illness,
and rarely if ever, away from business for any other
Mr. Burnham was one of the most
highly respected citizens of Port Perry. In his
two important offices he learned to know the people
of the neighbourhood thoroughly, and his long tenure
of office showed how much his ability and integrity
were appreciated. He was a man of simple and regular
habits, fond of his daily walk, and his interests
centred around his home and family.
Mr. Burnham was married to Marion
Hart in 1875, and the couple raised six children
at their palatial John St. home.
J.W. Burnham passed away in Port
Perry on Sunday, Sept. 23, 1928 in his 80th year.
His wife Marion died on Sunday, March 3, 1940, at
90 years of age.
JUDGE ZACCHEUS BURNHAM
Zaccheus Burnham was born in the
County of Northumberland on March 31, 1819. He received
his literary education at the Cobourg Grammar School;
studied law with his elder brother in Peterborough
and finished legal studies in Toronto.
He began practicing law in Whitby
in 1843 and by 1852 had been appointed junior judge
for the counties of Peel, York and Ontario. In 1854
when Ontario County was formed he was appointed
County Judge, a position he held for 42 years.
In 1848 he married Sarah Borlase
(Warren) and they had one son, John Warren Burnham,
who became Clerk of the Court at Port Perry. John
Burnham served as Court Clerk for 58 years and was
also postmaster in Port Perry for 45 years.
Judge Burnham's wife, Sarah, died
in 1856. Fourteen years later, he married Sarah's
sister, Helena, with whom he had two children.
Judge Burnham died at his residence
on Sunday, Nov. 15, 1896., at 79 years of age. The
news of his death spread through the town and county
with deep and widespread regret. Flags were flown
at half mast from the Courthouse and other public
His funeral was an event of County
importance. It was conducted in the quiet manner
in which the deceased judge had lived, but the pioneer
public men from every part of the county were there.
James Carnegie was
born in Scotland, June 2, 1843 and travelled to
Canada when he was a young man 22 years of age.
He was the only one of the family to follow in this
father's footsteps as a miller, although he came
from a milling family.
His first business enterprise
was in Reach Twp., where he conducted a flour mill
west of Manchester. After selling the mill, he went
to Raglan where he owned and operated flour and
saw mills, and a farm of 50 acres. He remained at
Raglan for 11 years, during which time he gained
his first experience in municipal affairs in the
In 1871 he was married to Louise
Fincham, at the old St. Andrews Church, Toronto.
In April 1888, Mr. Carnegie, having
sold his property in Raglan, came to Port Perry
and purchased the flour mills from the Ontario Bank.
He carried on this business for almost 20 years.
His flouring mills and planning mills were totally
destroyed by a fire in June 1902, but undeterred
he began to rebuild immediately and was in full
operation only six months later. In 1907 he sold
the entire business to his sons, David and Arthur
He was well known through the
County, having taken an active part in public affairs.
He served for a number of years on Port Perry council,
and was Reeve for three terms. In 1899 he served
as Warden of the County of Ontario in 1899. He was
elected unanimously to the House of Assembly for
the Liberals of South Ontario in 1907.
Good judgement and industry assured
to Mr. Carnegie the success he achieved in his business
ventures and the lumber mills in Port Perry will
always be associated with his name. In 1891 he purchased
the Union Flouring Mills and successfully operated
it until June 1902 when it was destroyed by fire.
He rebuilt and was in operation in less than a year
and successfully ran it until 1907, when he sold
it to his sons.
After retirement from business,
Mr. Carnegie took up lawn bowling for his recreation.
He was Honorary President of the Central Lawn Bowling
League. In 1913 he purchased a lot just west of
the lawn bowling green on Queen St., and built a
handsome brick house.
He was a member of Fidelity Lodge,
Port Perry and also a Shriner.
Mr. James Carnegie, was a resident
of Port Perry for over 30 years died at his home
on Tues., Oct. 4, 1921, in his 79th year. His wife
Louise, and his ten children, six sons and four
daughter, all survived him.
His funeral took place on Thursday
and deceased was buried with full Masonic honors
at Pine Grove Cemetery, Prince Albert.
SAMUEL THOMAS CAWKER
Samuel T. Cawker
was born in Devonshire, England, in 1843, the son
of John and Elizabeth Cawker. He came to Canada
with his parents when he was just seven years old,
and the family settled in Bowmanville, establishing
a butcher business.
Mr. Cawker moved to Port Perry
in 1869 and opened his butcher store, becoming one
of the town's first businessmen. During the 1880s
he operated his meat stall from the Market Building
and would close for part of the year to run a beef
cart, with first-class meat, door to door in the
town. After the fire of 1884, his sons John and
Alymer, joined him in business, operating successfully
until 1918 when S.T. Cawker retired to his home
in Borelia, and the business was sold to Ralph Fitchett
Mr. Cawker was a keen student
of markets and kept thoroughly posted upon all public
matters. A man of thoroughly dependable character,
he stuck by his principles, often to his own financial
loss. He was of a retiring nature, and did not fill
any public office; but as a kindly neighbour and
good citizen, he will long be remembered by his
many friends and acquaintances.
Mr. Cawker was married to Mary
Hannah Thorndyke, on March 7, 1866, in Bowmanville,
from which eight children were born: Lillian J.,
Samuel John, Bertha Frances, William Weston, Florence
Nora, Alymer Bolton, George Oscar and Chas. Henry.
Mr. and Mrs. Cawker celebrated
their 65th wedding anniversary in 1931.
S.T. Cawker, who was a highly
respected citizen, passed away at Port Perry on
Thursday, Dec. 15, 1938. He had retained his faculties
until the day of his death. His wife, Mary passed
away on May 25, 1934 at the age of 84 years. She
had lived in Port Perry for 64 years.
Duncan Christie occupied a prominent
place in the foremost ranks of Ontario County's
future. He took a forward and leading part in every
movement likely to benefit the community.
Agricultural pursuits were his
choice and he was one of the chief promoters and
originators of the Agricultural Society, acting
as its secretary for many years. He was regarded
as a valuable member of community and held some
of the most important positions in the municipality.
In the church and school he proved of much importance.
After a residence of 30 years
in the locality, he leaves it vastly better than
he found it and his thrift and industry have secured
for his family a generous portion of this world's
goods. He passed away on Tuesday, April 10, 1883,
at 58 years of age.
PETER CHRISTIE, JR.
Reach Twp. lost
one of its pioneers in the death of Peter Christie,
who had been in failing health for some time. Lovingly
spoken of as "Peter" by all who knew him, there
was no more esteemed citizen in the County.
Peter Christie was the son of
John and Jean (McLaren) Christie, who came to Canada
in 1845 and settled on the 6th concession of Reach.
He was born Oct. 30, 1846 in a log cabin on the
7th conc. Later the family moved to a farm west
of Epsom, where at the local school he received
his early education.
A well-to-do farmer, Mr. Christie
owned several farms, but resided in his residence
on Dundreenan Farm, south of the village of Manchester.
Mr. Christie's public service
was varied; it covered many years and was much appreciated
because of his good judgement and unfailing kindness.
In 1876 he entered Reach Council and was identified
with public affairs for 30 years, holding every
office of the people. As a young man he entered
the municipal council, where he served as reeve
for eight years, from 1879-1883 and again from 1897-1899,
and was honoured by election to the office of Warden
of Ontario County in 1881. In 1904 he was the Conservative
standard bearer in South Ontario and represented
that riding for four years in the Federal Parliament.
He was a director of the Maple
Leaf Insurance Co. from 1895 to 1931. Two prominent
Agricultural Assoc. honoured him be electing him
as their President. - The Guelph Winter Fair and
the Clydesdale Breeders' Assoc. He was also a member
of the Stallion Enrollment Board.
It was in the field of agriculture
that Mr. Christie's most effective service was rendered.
His knowledge of farming and livestock was recognized
in many ways, and his farm became noted as the home
of thoroughbred stock.
His loyal support was always given
the Breadalbane Presbyterian Church at Utica. His
father, John Christie, was largely responsible for
the building of that church.
In 1879 Mr. Christie married Mary
Honor (Graham), who predeceased him on Sat., Jan.
12, 1924. He is survived by three sons, Grant and
Fred at home, and Prof. Graham Christie of the Agricultural
Dept. of John Hopkins University, Baltimore.
Peter Christie passed away at
his home on Dundrennan Farm, Manchester, on Tuesday,
Dec. 12, 1933, in his 88th year.
PETER CHRISTIE, SR.
Peter Christie was one of those
noble pioneers to whom everyone referred to with
pride and respect. He was born and raised to manhood
in Scotland, then left his native land in 1831 to
come to Canada. He settled in Reach Twp., near the
village of Manchester, where he resided for 51 years,
until the time of his death.
Peter Christie passed away at
his home on Saturday, Aug. 26, 1882, at the age
of 82 years. His wife predeceased him by 25 years,
and he left four sons and six daughters to mourn
his loss. His funeral was attended by a very large
number of friends and relatives, and he was laid
to rest at the Presbyterian burial ground, Utica.
Mr. Samuel Christian,
throughout the 1860s and 1870s, was a leading community
figure, noted for his public spirit. He was a leader
in mercantile pursuits, at Manchester, the business
centre of the township of Reach at this time.
He was also extensively engaged
in the purchase of grain, and his expertise was
often called on to judge the commodity anywhere
it was to be found. His popularity as a buyer made
him famous across the county. His success as a business
man and grain buyer was phenomenal up to the time
of the great slump in the price of barley during
He is said to have been possessed
with far more than ordinary ability, and he was
public spirited and generous to a fault. His popularity
was almost unbounded and any attempts to enter into
public life were rewarded with election. He served
as Reach Twp. Reeve in 1886
Mr. Christian was a loving and
devoted husband, and indulgent father and a true
friend. His wife predeceased him by 23 years. He
passed away in Toronto on Friday, October 25, 1907
in his 64th year, leaving one son, Arthur Christian,
of Whitby. His remains were interred at Pine Grove
Thomas Courtice, one of the community's
best loved and esteemed residents, passed away in
Port Perry on Friday, March 1, 1901, at the age
of 71 years.
Mr. Courtice started in the leather
and saddlery business in 1854 at Prince Albert,
and in 1860 joined forces with John Rolph in the
manufacturing of harness products. With the arrival
of the railway in Port Perry, Mr. Courtice moved
to his new building near the corner of Queen and
Perry St. in 1874, to open his new harness shop.
Unfortunately, like so many other Port Perry businesses,
the Courtice Block was destroyed in the fire of
Mr. Courtice's business was a
success from the start, catering to needs that were
widespread in the community. In 1887, he formed
a partnership with Mr. Samuel Jeffrey, and they
successfully carried on with their business, Courtice
and Jeffrey Harness Shop, until his death.
In 1869 he served as treasurer
of the Prince Albert Public Hall Joint Stock Co.,
and while a resident of Port Perry served on the
town council. He was also a devoted Christian, who
for a time was the local preacher in Prince Albert,
and also served as the Sabbath School Superintendent.
As a tribute to this pioneer resident,
the businesses of Port Perry closed during the afternoon
of his funeral to pay respect, as he was laid to
rest in Pine Grove Cemetery, Prince Albert. Left
to mourn him was his wife, Annie (Cory), who died
on Feb. 8, 1913 in Port Perry.
Benjamin Crandell was born in
1825, the first white child in the Township of Reach,
and the son of Reuben and Catherine Crandell.
His beloved wife, Annie (Cook)
Crandell, was born 1829 and died on Nov. 11, 1912
at 82 years of age. They had one son, Wallace Reuben.
It was Benjamin who sold to the
village of Port Perry, a beautiful lot at the corner
of Queen and Simcoe St., on which the municipality
built the new Town Hall, in 1873.
Benjamin Crandell passed away
Mr. Crandell was the fourth son
of the late Reuben and Catherine Crandell, the first
white settlers in the Township of Reach, in the
One of Port Perry's oldest residents
at the time of his death, he was the most extensive
property holder in the town. He had been retired
for about 40 years when he passed away, and had
lived in one of the most commodious homes in the
Caleb Crandell was for many years
a member of the village council, and was always
an enterprising and respected citizen. He was one
of the Charter Members of Warriner Lodge, No. 74,
Independent Order of Oddfellows.
Caleb Crandell was born July 14,
1830, passed away on Jan. 8, 1907 and was interred
at Pine Grove Cemetery, Prince Albert with all the
honors of the Oddfellows Lodge. He left behind his
was born in Reach Twp. in 1828. He wasthe second
son of Reuben and Catherine Crandell, the first
white settlers in the township.
By the time he was 18 years old,
he began showing interest in boats, and in 1845
helped his father build the Firefly, a crude packet
which was propelled by oars and sails. This experience
whet his appetite for shipping and when he heard
of plans to build a large steamship, the Woodman,
at Port Perry, he was hired to help in its construction,
and later became a member of its crew when it was
launched in 1850. He built and launched his first
boat, the Lady Ida in 1861.
George Crandell was married to
Henrietta (Hopper) while still living in Port Perry,
and they raised five children, Gertrude, Arthur,
G.A., Marjorie and Hilda. In 1866 he moved his family
to Lindsay, which had become a more strategic centre
for shipping than Port Perry, and here they lived
for the remainder of his life.
By 1869 the ambitious young Crandell
had built four steamships, and was owner and operator
of the largest and busiest fleet of ship in the
Central Lakes. His crowning achievement came in
1891 with the launching of the Crandella, the largest
passenger carrying steamship in the Kawarthas.
Capt. Crandell was described as
one of the most rugged and active persons the area
had every known. His passion was steamboating, and
he indulged in it with so much enthusiasm, he was
credited for much of the development of navigation
in the area.
He was considered one of the most
forceful, persistent and picturesque figures in
Lindsay's municipal history, serving over 30 years
on the local council. He loved his adopted town
and each winter, when not busy with his steamships,
he constructed homes. During his lifetime in the
town, he built close to 100 houses.
Towards the close of the 1901
Capt. George Crandell retired, almost 50 years after
the his maiden voyage on the Woodman. Including
his early days aboard sail and oar powered vessels,
he had spent 57 years of service on Lake Scugog
and the Kawarthas.
George Crandell died on Friday,
January 21, 1904, while out shoveling snow in front
of his home. He was 76 years of age. The entire
town mourned his passing as he was laid to rest
at Riverside Cemetery, Lindsay.
Reuben Crandell was born in Saratoga
County, York State, in 1797, and when he was only
four-years old his father died. At nine years of
age, he moved with his mother and stepfather to
Canada, settling near the Bay of Quinte.
Mr. Crandell married Catherine
Moore in 1820, while living in Haldimand County,
and their first child, Elmore, was born a year later.
That same year, he set out with his young family
and a team of oxen to blaze his way to the recently
established Township of Reach.
He made his way Lake Scugog and
settled on 200 acres of land he chose to farm near
Manchester. Only seven months after their arrival,
Catherine gave birth to Lucy Ann, the first white
child to be born in the township. One year later,
Benjamin became the first white male child born
in the Crandell's crude log cabin.
Over the next 15 years, the ringing
of Crandell's axe was a constant sound, as he cleared
some 105 acres of his original purchase, before
selling it to Alexander and Frederick Graham, of
Scotland. In 1832, he purchased another 200 acres,
at $1 per acre, north east of his original homestead.
Once again Crandell set to work
clearing the land at his new location and built
a home for his growing family. The original home,
which was also used as a hotel, was destroyed by
fire in 1843. He built another home, on the north
side of Queen St., near the 6th concession, and
there he lived with his family until his death.
The village which arose around
the immediate settlement of Mr. Crandell's land,
near the corner of Queen St. and Old Simcoe Road,
for many years bore the name of Crandell's Corners,
but around 1870 it was changed to Borelia.
Reuben Crandell, aged 77 years,
died on October 8, 1874. He had 12 children in total,
seven sons and five daughters, all of whom, with
the exception of one daughter, survived him. His
wife, Catherine, 71, pre-deceased him in August
A funeral was held for Reach Township's
first white settler on Sunday, Oct. 11 with a large
and highly respectable procession marching from
the late residence of the deceased to the Church
of Ascension, Port Perry.
REUBEN CRANDELL JR.
Reuben Crandell Jr. died in Port
Perry on Saturday, Oct. 7, 1922, at 90 years of
age. He was the last of seven sons of Reach Township's
first white settler, Reuben Crandell, who had settled
in the township in 1821.
The junior Crandell was clever
at writing his experiences in verse and entertained
his friends with his poems on many occasion. He
was never involved in holding office.
At the time of his Reuben Jr.'s
death, only two of his sisters were still living,
Mrs. Stewart of Port Perry and Mrs. Buck of San
As a mark of respect for the Reuben
Crandell Jr., the town bell was tolled at the time
of his funeral.
The Township of Scugog sustained
a severe loss on April 21, 1937 when one of its
foremost citizen, Wesley Crozier passed away in
his 76th year.
Mr. Crozier was born Sept. 25,
1861, the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Crozier, and
his early years were spent in the Township of Cartwright.
In 1891 he moved with his family to Scugog where
remained until his death.
Mr. Crozier entered into municipal
affairs, filling most capably, the positions of
councillor and Reeve. Subsequently he became the
township's tax collector, an office he held for
30 years. He had always shown concern for the moral
and social condition of the municipality he served,
and many lives were enriched by his unselfish friendship.
In 1903 he married Emma Milner,
who survives to mourn her late husband.
A large gathering assembled for
his funeral at the family residence, to pay their
last tribute of esteem to one who played a most
important part in the welfare of the community in
which he lived. Floral tributes from the Fidelity
Lodge, A.F.&A.M., Port Perry of which the deceased
was a member. He was laid to rest at Pine Grove
George Currie was born in Scarborough
Township on Aug. 21, 1821, the sixth child of John
and Hannah (Lockey) Currie, of Scotland. In 1844,
as a young man of 23-years old, he moved to Prince
Albert from Oshawa to open a grain buying business.
At the same time, he and his brother Mark opened
a general merchandising business consisting of dry
goods, liquors, wines and children's wear in the
Mr. Currie was married to Sarah
Ann (Cronk) on Dec. 3, 1845, and they raised a family
of six children: John, Catherine, Luther, Sarah,
Hannah and George Jr. All children were born at
Prince Albert, Ont. between 1846 and 1862.
Throughout the 1850s, the Curries
became one of the principal grain purchasing businesses
in the area, and it was during this time that George
tried out his hand a politics. In 1857 he was elected
Reeve of Reach Township. He later held the position
of treasurer of the Township for a number of years,
before moving to Port Perry.
The Currie brothers dissolved
their partnership as general merchants in September
1861 with George continuing the business. During
the 1860s, he formed another partnership with Aaron
Ross becoming one of the largest grain companies
in the county, as well as respected clothing, hardware
and grocery merchants.
During the early 1870s, business
began to trickle out of Prince Albert and George
Currie, realizing that the tide of business was
on the move, purchased a property on the north-east
corner of Queen & Perry St. In 1872, he constructed
an attractive two-storey brick building into which
he moved his new business.
During the summer of 1873 he began
construction of his most notable building, the large
grain elevator located near the railway station
at Port Perry's lakefront.
Mr. Currie tried his hand at provincial
politics in July 1876, running as a candidate for
North Ontario County, but losing his bid to W.H.
Gibbs of Whitby.
George Currie sold his interests
in Currie's Elevator to Aaron Ross towards the end
of the 1870s, and retired from business. Sometime
later, George and Sarah Currie moved to Montana
with their youngest son George Jr., where they purchased
and lived on a ranch until the death of Mrs. Currie
on May 9, 1891. Mr. Currie returned to Toronto as
some point to spend the remainder of his life at
the home of his daughter and son-in-law.
The Currie's daughter, Sarah,
was married to noted lawyer Norman F. Paterson,
who had practiced in Port Perry for about 18 years,
as well as held the position of village Clerk.
George Currie was 81 years of
age when he passed away in Toronto, on Saturday,
October 4, 1902, at the residence of Sarah and N.F.
Mark Currie was born in the Township
of Scarborough on Sept. 30, 1823, the son of John
and Hannah Currie. The family left Scotland in 1818,
settling in New York for about one year before moving
northward to Canada. They settled in Toronto, then
known as Little York, but after the death of his
father in 1830, the family moved to Whitby.
Mark Currie entered into carriage
building in Oshawa and operated a successful and
respected enterprise for about ten years. He retired
and moved to Prince Albert, where he entered into
the mercantile business with his brother George.
In September 1861, the brothers dissolved their
partnership, with Mark taking the business into
his own hands, and later becoming a partner with
his son-in-law Mr. J.H. Brown.
When he was about 50 years old,
Mr. Currie retired from business and moved to Port
Perry, where he built a fine new residence in 1873.
In Port Perry he became a active member of town
council for a number of years, served on the Board
of Education and became chief engineer of the Fire
Mark Currie passed away in Port
Perry on Feb. 23, 1882, at 58 years of age. He was
a loving husband, affectionate father and a useful
member of society. He left behind his wife Agnes
(Dickie), son William and one daughter. He was interred
at Pine Grove Cemetery.
WILLIAM MARK CURRIE
William M. Currie was born in
November 1850, the son of one of Prince Albert's'
early pioneers, Mark Currie.
W.M. Currie worked for the Dominion
Bank as a young man, and in 1877 entered into business
with the late J.H. Brown in the dry goods business,
operating until 1883 when the partnership was dissolved.
His next venture was in connection
with the local electric light plant which he owned
and provided electric lights for the town. When
he retired from business in 1910, he sold the powerhouse
to the municipality.
One of the town's early settlers,
he was actively identified with Port Perry for a
great many years. Politically he was a staunch Liberal,
and a Presbyterian by faith. He also served on town
William Mark Currie passed away
at the Port Perry Hospital on April 18, 1924 in
his 74th year. His wife, Christina Victoria (McGill)
predeceased him July 7, 1900. He was survived by
his only son William Currie, of Hamilton. Interment
at Pine Grove Cemetery.
JOSHUA W. CURTS
J.W. Curts was born
in West York in 1847, and spent his early years
on the family farm. At 17 years of age he married
Frances Lewis and afterward left home to run a grocery
store in Toronto. He later moved on to Whitby.
Mr. Curts came to Port Perry in
1875 as an employee of the Port Perry & Port Whitby
Railway, first as baggage handler and freight checker,
and later he became the railway's agent. About 1889
he went into the produce business with C.R. Henderson.
He erected two refrigerated warehouses capable of
holding up to 25,000 dozen eggs. The largest of
these burned with its contents in November 1892.
The business prospered for a number
of years, as Mr. Curts sent two teams out on the
road gathering eggs and butter. In later years he
busied himself with his farm located at the west
end of the Scugog Bridge.
In addition to the two warehouses
he erected, he built two fine brick houses, one
at the west side of the Scugog Bridge, and the other
on the corner of Water and Mary St.
Mr. Curts was actively interest
in public affairs, holding positions on council
and was elected Reeve in 1895. He also served as
a member of the Board of Education. He was a veteran
of the Fenian Raid and while in Toronto was a member
of the Queen's Own Rifles.
Mr. Curts died at 74 years of
age, on Thursday, Feb. 17, 1921. His wife, Melinda
May Abbot, two sisters and a half brother survived
him. Melinda Curts passed away in Port Perry on
Friday, March 31, 1933, at 67 years of age.
ALBERT J. DAVIS
Mr. Albert J. Davis
was born in Port Perry in 1858, and was educated
at both public and high school in the village. As
a young man he gained experience in drug store methods
and ethics working for local drug stores. In 1890
he graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacy
and immediately returned and purchased the drug
store business of Mr. C. C. McGlashan.
His store was located in the Blong
Block until 1901 when Mr. Davis moved to new premises
at the corner of Queen and Perry St. His store was
always well stocked with drugs and medicines, and
he carried a large stock of school books, stationery,
cigars, tobaccos and post cards. Mr. Davis large
store enabled him to make room for the telegraph
instruments and equipment for the Great Western
Telegraph Co., for which he was agent for 28 years.
He also served as ticket agent for the C.P.R. During
his 50 years of business life he was recognized
as an obliging and dependable merchant, and an honour
to his profession.
Mr. Davis served his fellow citizens
in the town council for two years and as a member
of the Masonic and A.O.U.W. orders. Years ago he
was leader of the choir in the Methodist Church.
He lived in a comfortable home located on the south
side of Queen St., near the store.
In April 1930, Mr. Davis retired
after almost 50 years serving the community, selling
his business to Mr. Andy M. Lawrence of Oshawa.
He passed away only two years later, on April 10,
1932 at 74 years of age, leaving his wife, Annie
E. (Hiscox) to mourn his loss.
With the death of A.J. Davis,
Port Perry lost an excellent citizen. He was a charter
member of Fidelity Lodge, A.F.&A.M. and its first
Past Master, and was buried with Masonic honours.