JOSEPH BIGELOW RESIDENCE
The Bigelow house is the largest
and finest examples of Italianate architecture in
Port Perry. The house was built on Cochrane St.
in 1876 by Joseph and Elizabeth Bigelow and remained
in the family until 1980, when Bigelow's grandson
William Carnegie sold it.
1885 sketch of the Bigelow House
This attractive Cochrane St, Port
Perry residence was home to the Samuel Jeffrey family
for more than 30 years. It was originally constructed
in 1883 by Mr. Jeffery's partner, Thomas Courtice.
Lockerby House was the name give
to this beautiful brick home, constructed by Major
Thomas C. Forman at the corner of Queen and Caleb
St., Port Perry in 1885.
Residence of David J. Adams, who
built this home on Cochrane St. about 1871 after
moving his money and land broking business to Port
Perry from Prince Albert. After the death of Mr.
Adams, the house was purchased by H.G. Hutcheson
who was Reeve of Port Perry in 1909 and 1910.
The Burnham House, located at 53
Perry St., Port Perry was built for John W. Burnham
in 1878. The house is located on a large lot that
overlooks Lake Scugog to the east. Mr. Burnham served
as the local postmaster for 45 years.
This presigious Port Perry home
was built in 1873 by Mark Currie, a leading and
respected businessman of the day. The house is located
on the south west corner of Queen and Ella Street
and is currently owned by the Bradleys.
This Cochrane St. home was built
by Hubert L. Ebbles in 1869 and is currently home
to Stephen and Alice Carnegie. The home has been
in the Carnegie family for the past 80 years.
Residence of Hubert L. Ebbels as it looked in 1877.
from the Ontario County Historical Atlas.
This beautiful home was built on
Queen St. by Dr. Orr Graham, a local veterinarian
in 1885. Like many homes of this era, the porch
no longer exists on the house, although the remainder
of the home is in good shape.
Edward H. Purdy home, located on
the west side of Simcoe St., just south of Town
Hall 1873. In photo are, from left, Mrs. Purdy,
E. H. Purdy, Dhel (Bentley) Purdy, and Hardy Purdy.
This photo taken in 1920s. The house still remains
today, although the large two storey porch has been
Return to the
Top | Return
to Miscellaneous Index